Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Poison Ivy


I started itching yesterday and by the time I woke up this morning I realized what all the itching was about!!! My annual bout with poison ivy is here. I've got it on my face and neck, waist and foot. When will I learn that I am allergic to the stuff and must take every precaution when I see it??


Every year as I am weeding my garden I usually see a small sprig of it growing somewhere...just a small sprig mind you....but instead of running to the house to get a plastic bag to put around my hand to pull it out and then contain the small sprig to transport it to the burn barrel; I tell myself if I am very careful I can just pull it out with my garden gloved hand and then simply change gloves when I take my next break. And in the meantime, I am very careful not to touch my skin.... Yeah right.... I do that every year and every year I get poison ivy....


So, for the next week or so I'll be applying the calamine lotion and kicking myself for not taking the proper precaution. Is anyone suffering with me?


6 comments:

Meg said...

I can't say I know what that feels like. I must have inherited my immunity to poison ivy from the Devines! Feel better Auntie!

~Becca~Bluebird Rose said...

I am fortunate that I do not get it very easily, considering we live in the country. But I HAVE had it before, and know how uncomfy it is, so I hope you find relief soon.

Joan Fricker said...

Kay, I empathize with you..I get it I think by looking at it. I too
try to be so careful pulling it out of my landscaping, but sometimes I am not successful. I hope it clears up soon for you.

Joan

~ Lindy ~ said...

so far....i've been walking through the woods of maine and NO poison ivy! i think i've seen quite a bit of it....but there may be something else with 3 leaves that i'm mistaking for PI, cause if it's nearby, i normally get it...and i have NONE!
ticks are a problem here..thank GOODNESS i've not had that problem! and black flies and mosquitos are yukky!
feel better soon!

Jess said...

If you are alergic to poison ivy, you should beware of mango too... they are somehow connected... Hope it passes quickly... and glad i found your blog again, finally...

Karen said...

Sorry you got hit with it. I hope it clears up soon.

Don't put it in your burn barrel, though. The smoke is nasty, too. My fil had to go to the hospital after burning some-it irritated his esophogus and lungs.

Makes disposing of the pesky stuff pretty tough.